Friday, April 12, 2013

Viva Colombia! Viva Australia!

How many times have you been on tour and something doesn't turn out quite as well as you anticipated? Then, there are the times when something happens that exceeds your expectations.

When our Colombian guide Julio announced that the next day we were going to visit the Valley of the Palms, my mind went into a secret 'ho hum' mode. I thought. 'You've seen one palm, you've seen them all' (a bit like temples). Even Julio's explanation that the palm's were among the world's rarest only raised my pulse by a smidge.

But two things happened to change my mind. One affected my stomach .... the other my heart. 

At 2140 meters we walked the Valley of the Palms, crossed a waterfall on a swing bridge and photographed some eye-catching flora.

In the early afternoon we called into a mountain-top restaurant for lunch.  Like many South American countries trout featured prominently on the menu; garlic trout, lemon trout; grilled trout, fried trout, baked trout, drowned trout, trout drowned in sesame oil, trout downed in tomatoes, trout with beetroot and trout without beetroot.

How could I order anything else but trout? I ordered garlic trout. I'm still a great believer in the antibiotic properties of garlic. The others ordered a variety of trout dishes. Twenty minutes later plates of golden pan-fried trout arrived. Size does count! These were the biggest trout I had ever seen. Each was served on a crisp corn arepa - a bit like the grand-daddy of corn crisps.  The trout looked mouth-watering - and they tasted even better. The best fish I've tasted in years.

Following lunch our guide invited us to a palm planting ceremony on the slopes of the mountain just below the restaurant. Once again, I was anticipating a yawn session. Juan, a joyful, robust Colombian of sensible years told us about his passion for joining with tourists in palm-planting for future generations. He spoke of mother earth, the need for respect and love  mother earth and each other. I liked this larger than life guy!



Three of our group volunteered to plant palms with Juan. They dug in the rich, black volcanic soil and dirtied their hands together. One at a time they planted a palm with Juan. Juan's passion and reverence was contagious. Each planter joined with Juan in throwing their arms in the air to thank the spirits. Juan enthusiastically embraced all the planters.

For the finale we formed a circle, locked arms and Juan led the chorus of Via Colombia! Viva Australia!

I was really moved by this simple ceremony. The sense of love. sharing and goodwill that emanated from such a simple gesture made me think deep and hard. Viva Colombia! Viva Juan!


The tour of Colombia was co-led by Peter Lambert and Dale Neill. Their next tour 'Images of India' is in February 2014. For details email India@wildheart.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment