Thursday, April 4, 2013

Statement Doorways

Doors and entrances have long been a favourite subject for photographers. In Greece, Peru and Colombia the entry portals are a great source of pride. Intense, saturated colours, layers of flaking colours set off by ornate door knockers tell us something about the owners.

I'm a bit averse to shooting doors because I rate them a bit like a bird on a  stick, a centred red rose or a sunset. They are static and just a bit too easy. But every now and then I weaken and seek out a good door followed by two slices of pizza.

I remember visiting East Berlin before the wall came down and was intrigued and saddened by the long lines of dismal, grey, dusty doors. The only texture was provided by occasional bullet holes pock marks still unrepaired after WW2.


Think of our own doorways and entrances in Australia. Most smack of conservativism; perhaps reflecting a fear to express ourselves.

I found the Colombian people to be warm, friendly and helpful. They are rejoicing their new found freedom since the curtailment of 'the violence' when the drug lords ruled the country. The coffee shops are filled with people enjoying the world's best coffee and arguing about football, politics and women. At least we've got that in common with Colombians. But we still have a bit of catching up to do to get coffee for $2. I suspect I may get an azure blue front door before I get a  $2 coffee.

(Peter Lambert and I are leading a photography/wildlife tour to eastern India departing 15 Feb 2014. If you would like more details email Dale at India@wildheart.com.au)

No comments:

Post a Comment